The Fortnightly: November 10th – November 24th
November 11, 2013
Soon, we’ll all begin to hibernate in front of the impersonal glow of our screens for the winter. Undoubtedly you’ll find yourself under a blanket one evening, on your couch, with one finger poised over the “Enter” button on the tv remote, trying to decide whether to go out to a show or to consume your 7th consecutive episode of The Walking Dead. IWTAS has heard your beleaguered cries for help and we’ve decided to reinstate our popular two-week show calendar, The Fortnightly, as a means to get you outside during the chilly months.
For the uninitiated, The Fortnightly is a hand-illustrated calendar and list of IWTAS-approved shows stretching over a two-week period that one or more of us will likely attend (or wish we could).
- Sunday, 11/10: The Lone Bellow at Old Rock House – Expect sweeping harmonies that illuminate sad songs coming from the mouths and hearts of pretty people. 75% chance of suspenders on stage.
- Monday, 11/11: PINK at Scottrade – This blond piece of pop royalty had the balls to fuel a feud with Kanye back in 2009 while she was busy changing the fabric of Top 40 music with strong, smart tunes. It’s been 13 years since Can’t Take Me Home, and the woman is still a force.
- Monday, 11/11: Cut Copy at The Pageant.
- Tuesday, 11/12: Pancake Productions Autumnal Sampler MMXIII CD Release at Lemmon’s – 5 bones for hours upon hours of local tunes played by the likes of Matt Harnish’s Pink Guitar, Town Cars, The Defeated County, Bass Amp & Dano, and The Pat Sajak Assassins, not to mention a CD chock full of rarities and unreleased tracks from the bands listed above and many more.
- Tuesday, 11/12: MGMT at The Peabody – The psychiest of modern psych in the fanciest of STL performance venues = no brainer. And there are STILL tickets available! Get at ’em.
- Wednesday, 11/13: Washed Out at the Firebird.
- Saturday, November 16th: Vintage Vinyl Presents Joe Pug at The Firebird.
- Sunday, 11/17: Tennis + On An On at Off Broadway.
- Tuesday, 11/19: Diarrhea Planet + Bully, Boreal Hills, and Armadillo at The Gramophone – Oooph. Nashville’s Diarrhea Planet is bringing sick, slick garage rock to STL again, this time at The Gramophone, and they’re performing with a cavalcade of Tennessee (Bully) and Missouri (Boreal, ‘dillo) loudmouths. This rager is being presented by 4 Hands Brewing Co.
- Friday, 11/22: Jedi Nighties + Karate Bikini + High Scores + Junior Miss at The Gramophone – A 4-pack of killer STL bands both new and old for 7 bucks. When the Gramo’s packed with familiar faces, local shows take on a house party kind of quality (except the bar’s well-stocked) and things get awesome.
As always, be safe and we’ll see you out there.
NOTE: We know what you’re thinking: “WHERE IN THE HECK are shout outs for Ellen the Felon, what with her record release at Skatium happening on the 15th?!” and “HEY, why do you guys hate Foxing, who are sending their album out into the world on the 15th, too, but at The Firebird?!” Well, we have a special TWO-FER lined up for that very special Friday night coming later this week, so calm your sweet local band-loving selves.