CONTEST: Win a Pair of Tickets to See Midlake and Sarah Jaffe at Old Rock House
December 3, 2013
Midlake, of Denton, TX, put out a pretty new record this year called Antiphon, their first since the departure of principal singer/songwriter Tim Smith. Now guitarist Eric Pulido is steering the ship, and the band has produced a record that Consequence of Sound calls “moody yet accessible” and borrows heavily (and effectively) from 70s folk rock sounds. Tomorrow night, Midlake will headline at Old Rock House and it will be lovely, no doubt.
The band even made the entirety of Antiphon available for streaming (with lyrics included):
What I’d like for you to do on Wednesday evening, in addition for showing up to see Midlake, is to arrive in PLENTY of time to get a drink and a good spot for the opener, the inimitable Sarah Jaffe, also out of Denton. Since the release of her debut full-length, Suburban Nature, in 2010, she’s been busy creating pieces of work that defy the constricting “Female Singer/Songwriter” genre. Here’s what she’s been up to lately:
– 2011: Sarah Jaffe releases a DVD of a live performance and an EP that was recorded in her home and contains a stirring, stripped version of her well-known song, “Clementine”.
– 2011: Sarah Jaffe covers Drake’s “Shut It Down”. Kills the track dead, then records it, and it ends up (along with a Cold War Kids cover) on the aforementioned EP, The Way A Sound Leaves A Room.
– 2012: Sarah Jaffe releases her 2nd full-length record, The Body Wins, during which she sheds her indie-folk cloak, increases production levels, and continues to do whatever the hell she wants.
– 2012: Sarah Jaffe debuts a remix of “Foggy Field” off The Body Wins, and it rules.
– 2013: Sarah Jaffe forms one half of hip hop project The Dividends with producer Symbolyc One. She writes the hook and contributes uncredited vocals for “Bad Guy”, the lead track off Eminem’s The Marshall Mathers LP 2.
– 2013: Sarah Jaffe is 27 years old. She releases two new songs, “Defense” and “Satire”, and well, listen for yourself:
The evidence shows that tomorrow night at Old Rock House will be a very special one. Want to go for $FREE? Leave a comment below or on Facebook and tell us why you want to attend. We’ll choose a winner at random tomorrow, December 4th, at noon.